Themabewertung:
  • 0 Bewertung(en) - 0 im Durchschnitt
I would like to get German Opinions on Crate Training
I am debating with people from the US, dog handlers that are also involved with the Schutzhundsport, whether or not 16+ hours of crating dogs in the house is considered abusive. I personally cannot comprehend that you would lock up your dog sometimes more than 16 hours a day in a crate like this:

[Bild: midwest-life-stages-training-and-travel-crates.jpg]
http://www.puppy-training-solutions.com/dog-crates.html

In Germany it wouldn't only be against the law but I think there is a huge difference between the mentalities and I would love to see German opinions on crating dogs in the house in crates like that and how you feel about it. I know I can't be the only one that can't comprehend that.

For example, an arthritic lab got shot by the police in oakland, some people that are pro crating say that it keeps their dogs safe from getting shot by the cops (if they ever have to make their way into the house). I can't comprehend that you would lock your dog into a crate because you have to be scared that the cops get into your house and shoot your dog just because they felt threatened. It's something that doesn't happen over here... at least I've never heard of it. If a dog gets shot than there is a reason.

Another justification is that they fear that the dog could get in trouble, eat anything he shouldn't, hang himself around the house... etc, etc, etc,

Honestly, I've never heard of any dog that hung himself. Not in the Shepherd Szene I know.

Kennels that are build according to the law, where a dog has enough space to roam, stretch and lay back down, that is something I can understand and I have no problems using them but using a crate, such in the picture and locking a dog up for 16 hours a day...how do you feel about that?
Zitieren to top
I would not even think about to lock up a dog for 16 or less hours in a crate. I do know it is kind of normal in the US, saw that more then once. To bad for those dogs!
Zitieren to top
That's way to much. 16+ is not fair to the dogs.

I understand it for people unable to held the dogs in a kennel and dogs which destroyes things while owners are not at home. That's ok so far.
But 16+ is tooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.

Poor dogs.
LG Anke und das Wölfchen

[Bild: 0312Banner50020kb.jpg]
Zitieren to top
It´s really funny. Germans talk to Germans in English. Big Grin
Can´t see any sense in it.
[img]%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i43.tinypic.com/2ept36b.jpg%5B/IMG%5D[/img]
Liebe Grüße,
Barbara
"Auch Schöne können Leistung bringen!"
Zitieren to top
Barbara, it's in english so native english speakers can read it. All I have to do is to give them the link. Europeans (in this case Germans) have a different mindset about crating dogs. While we kennel them in outdoor kennels most of us would never use a crate to crate dogs for eight hours during the night and then again while you go to work which ads up to 16 hours a day (sometimes even more, depending on how far you have to drive to get to work).
Zitieren to top
Hallo Ihr alle,

auf Deutsch, damit es jeder von Euch versteht!

Dies ist das "English Language"-Forum. Hier wird auf englisch diskutiert, um englischsprachigen Mitgliedern eine Plattform zu geben. Charisma möchte diese Möglichkeit nutzen und es steht ihr frei. Dumme Kommentare dazu erspart Euch und uns bitte.

Danke.

Bine
Zitieren to top
Hi all,

I am a big fan of crate training a dog since it makes life much easier for all involved, even for the dog. A puppy gets housebroken more easily and if you have to travel with your dog the dog feels secure and comfortable because his home is always around. And you can use the crate to contain the dog in times you are unable to watch him. However, 16 hours during he day is a lot! Usually, dogs rest a lot, but in my opinion they should be able to move around, stretch out and - most important - drink water when they feel like it. It probably would work if the dog gets lots of exercise and activity (brainwork) in the remaining 8 hours of the day.

Regards
Sabine
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...
Zitieren to top
(sorry for my terrible English Big Grin )

In this crate I would arrest only a little dog...
If I´m traveling, I use this crates, too. But it´s only for 1-2 days. And I have very big crates for my dogs.

In the house my dogs can move freely. If they should destroy something, I will learn them to be a good dog.
Zitieren to top

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 2 Gast/Gäste